I love my alma mater, The College of Saint Rose. More than anything, the college allowed me to grow and learn from my mistakes. Man were there a lot of mistakes.
I follow St. Rose’s online presence quietly, but it’s time for them to join the game and start using social media to truly benefit their current and future students, along with their alumni.
Dear St. Rose, Here are the top 5 things you should be doing online right now. There is no reason that you can’t be a leader:
- Think of your website as a story telling tool. Right now it’s way too cluttered. One thing you can do is clean up your entire photo area and make it scrolling photos that have quotes from parents and students. The photos should be of students learning life lessons, not just of commencement. Every college has commencement, hell every commencement looks exactly the same.
- Change your Twitter name to @strose. Why? Because your current name is confusing and long. Even your bio says your name three different ways. You use @strose, because it’s engrained in every students’ head for their email, and it’s also your website.
- Find your top competition and all the most influential people in higher education; follow them. Watch what they do on social media, learn from them, and communicate with them.
- Tell me why I should follow you on any social media platform. Getting updated information on campus happenings isn’t good enough. I don’t follow you currently because I’ve never been asked.
- Buy a dozen HD flipcams, quickly before they stop selling them. Then give them to your students. Have them shoot clips of their life at strose. Download those clips, and mash them into a raw, honest video.